Traffic Safety Around BVE
Keeping our students and neighbors safe is of upmost importance. Please review the safety tips below and share them with your kids. Parent modeling is how kids learn to be safe, make sure they know the rules.
Interested in helping keep BVE safe?
Volunteer as a Crossing Guard or Traffic Coordinator now.
- Look left-right-left before crossing any street
- Never assume that drivers see you, or assume they will stop
- Look before you step into the road to pass a parked car
- Make eye contact with drivers and cyclists before crossing streets
- Use caution when passing driveways
- Stay alert to your surroundings, avoid distractions like reading or talking on the phone
- Ride on the right-hand side of the road, with the flow of traffic
Walk bikes in crosswalks
- Stop all the way at stop signs and red lights
- Use hand signals, LEARN MORE >
- Be visible, use bike lights and reflectors at night
- Wear a helmet every time you ride
- Children are unpredictable, if you see kids, slow down
- Allow pedestrians to finish crossing the entire crosswalk before proceeding
- Never pass stopped or slowing vehicles at crosswalks
- Always look right before turning right, pedestrians may be crossing
- Watch for children who need to enter the roadway to get around parked cars